SO. WHAT ARE YOU READING? Reccs from the CC Community & Staff
Here’s what some of our board, our featured writers and readers, and generally wonderful humans in attendance at the 8th annual Creative Colloquy Crawl had to offer for Good Spooky October Reads. Enjoy!
PSSST: Here’s your reminder to find or order these books at your favorite independent bookstore whenever possible.
Something is Killing the Children by James Tynion IV and Werther Dell’Edera
~From Cameron, CC author & self-proclaimed Public Library Nerd. “Awesome, scary graphic novel with a kickass protagonist.”
My Best Friends’ Exorcism and The Southern Book Club’s Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix
~From Beth, Halloween-hearted CC editor. “Pulpy, yet self aware fun for those of us who grew up with Goosebumps.”
The Only Good Indians by Stephan Graham Jones
~From James, former CC editor and continual CC friend. “Horrifying in all the good ways.”
Frankenstein by Mary W. Shelley and He Left Her at the Altar, She Left Him to the Zombies by Katie Cord
~From Steve, CC friend and Tacoma historian. “A classic and an over-the-top Bridezilla.”
Young Goodman Brown by Nathaniel Hawthorne
~From Troy, deep-thinking, art-making CC editor. “Another classic for the mix, a short story that’s more spooky than scary.”
Jane-Emily by Patricia Clapp
~From Emilie, cowardly CC editor. “Gothic ghosts, scared the pants off me when I was in 4th grade.”
More Good Stuff
- Silent Running— Miriam’s post-apocalyptic sci-fi movie recc that started this list.
- Phryne Fisher Books/Series— Emilie’s not-too-scary preference for people who like murder and vintage fashion.
- Midnight Mass— Beth needs to discuss this show with you all, NOW.
- Something Wicked This Way Comes — We ALL remembered Bradbury’s spooky lines and scenes in the book and film.
- The Old Testament— James’ current reading project with, “more ghosts than I expected.”